7.08.2009

Mama's Zucchini Bread

Every summer we get an abundance of zucchini from my parents & my in-laws garden! There is only so much zucchini you can eat with dinner each night, so why not make some zucchini bread! This is my 2nd favorite bread (pumpkin is my favorite!) Yesterday, we made some zucchini bread to use up all the zucchini that was given to us before we leave for Tahoe. 

This recipe is from Mama, who was my Grammy's mom. This recipe dates back to the early 1900's!

Here is what you need:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
4 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
(Kevin is allergic to walnuts, so I never add them!)

Step 1: Grate 4 cups of zucchini

Step 2: In a bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy, then mix in oil and sugar.
Step 3: Stir in zucchini and vanilla
Step 4:
In a new bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt (and nuts).
Step 5: Stir into the egg/zucchini mixture.
Step 6: Divide batter into two greased & floured 8x4 inch loaf pans. (I use Pam baking spray with flour.)
Step 7: Bake for 55 -60 minutes at 325 degrees.
Step 8: Enjoy!
Tip:
We are lucky because we get home grown zucchini from both of our parents all summer long! Whenever I make zucchini bread, I grate more zucchini than I need & then I freeze it in a ziplock bag in 2 cup quantities. (Right now I have 8 (2 cup) bags of grated zucchini in my freezer) This way, I can make zucchini bread (or muffins) all year long! The grated zucchini will stay good in the freezer for up to a year!

This bread is so yummy & moist with a slightly crunchy top.
I made it yesterday & we have already eaten an entire loaf!

5 comments:

  1. That is so funny, I just commented on Heather's post that I grated a bunch of zucchini last night to make muffins tonight. We get it from my dad's garden as well! My recipe looks similar to yours and I like the zucchini grated larger like yours is.

    Great tip about freezing it! We usually freeze the whole loaves but freezing just the zucchini would take up less space in our tiny freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like zucchini bread, too, with some butter. I like Kate's expression in that first picture. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE zucchini bread! I am going to have to get some zucchini from the store. We grew some in Colorado and I froze a ton of it every year. I miss having a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight after searching my favorite blogs for "zucchini bread!" so good! I added the walnuts and also added craisins. SO yummy!!! thanks for a great recipe! love your blog!!
    dixieis@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you freeze the baked bread? How long will it last?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin